Saturday 30 August 2014

What's your phone?

With new smartphones model launching every now and then, what's your pick on your next smartphone? I used to have that vision that I'll be owning the Samsung Galaxy S5 but then these days, I am more in the Xiaomi MI4. 

The following table of comparison of smartphones were taken from oizoioi.com.my.


For me, the Xiaomi MI4 seems to be at par with Samsung Galaxy S5 with some key features that distinctly beat the competitor. To be fair, Xiaomi MI4 has just been launched in China while the Samsung Galaxy S5 has been launched since early this year. The many months in between will obviously allow the competitor to review your phone and come out with something more powerful in terms of the phone specifications.

Oppo Find 7 was launched back in June and that phone comes with two features that I really like. The large screen of 5.5-inch ultra-sharp Quad HD display (2560×1440 pixels, 538ppi) and the VOOC rapid charging technology that is 400% faster than normal charging. For me, the battery life of the phone is the utmost importance. Another point to note is that while most smartphones and tablets have an Amp rating of 1–2 Amps with regards to their chargers, which means that 2 Amps is the maximum current the device will draw. The Oppo Find 7 and Find 7A on the other hand, are able to receive much higher current, and on the VOOC charger itself, you’ll see that it can output 4.5 Amps – more than double the typical amperage. This is another factor in providing the huge boost that we get in battery charging times.

I'm still going for the Xiaomi MI4 when it launches in Malaysia. I guess it should be available before Christmas this year. Maybe I'll get my wife to get me that for this year's Christmas present! That's called wishful thinking. The official price has yet to be announced in Malaysia but I'm guessing it should be around RM1,088 to RM1,288. Let's hope Xiaomi is able to keep the price low at RM1,088 and I guess we will know pretty soon!

It's a long weekend for you folks in Malaysia with the nation celebrating its 57th year of independence. Have a good weekend and Happy Merdeka!